Database Size ... Any Suggestions!!!!

Any questions, comments, hints or tips relating to ClinicOffice 2005
Post a reply

Database Size ... Any Suggestions!!!!

Postby backman » November 11th, 2006, 11:52 am

My database is currently around 21MB in compressed format...

As you can see from my previous posts I do a full offsite backup every week and differential backups every day

I have plenty of web space and the backups occur during the night so there is not bandwidth issue...

I was just wondering if any of you were currently thinking about or preforming end of year housekeeping in terms of ending 1 database and beginning another... EG database 06/07 and then to coincide with the accounting year database 07/08 where you export contacts and patients but not appointment history and financials to limit data size...

What I suppose I'm trying to articulate is I can see my database getting very large over the years... or am I worrying unecessarly and making extra work for myself..

Would welcome any comments..

Colm
backman

• Website

Postby Support » November 13th, 2006, 9:16 am

Hi Colm

With ClinicOffice 2007 (hopefully available Feb/March) we're switching over to PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org) as the database backend.

It's a much more powerful database engine which will increase performance greatly. Oddly, our tests have also shown that it compresses data far more effectively when taking backups, so you'll find that the backup file size will be reduced by at least 50% in the next version.

We're also looking at implementing an 'archive' feature to remove old records from the active database. Hope this helps!
ClinicOffice Support Team
Support
Site Admin

Post a reply

Return to Questions & Answers