Support Forum for ClinicOffice - Practice Management Software by Pioneer Software

FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   Log in 

Wireless Networks

ClinicOffice Support Forum Index -> CO2005 Pre-Sales Enquiries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollied79

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Wireless Networks

Is there any particular reason why you sujest that Clininc Office XP should not run over a wireless network? I am currently looking at this application as a management solution I am building for a family friend in his physio practice. They currently have 2 pc's that will run the management system, plus am looking at a tablet pc to use in the treatment rooms to make the booking of appointments more user friendly.
Also would you be able to tell me the best way to set up the system, I would like to have access for 3 users at any one time using the same Clinic Office database.

Many Thanks Guys
backman

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Wireless is Too Slow

I tried this in my set up ...

I had both wired and wireless running simultaneously...Wireless just adds another layer of complexity to the mix and it's too slow...and you don't need the grief....

Wired is by far the best solution...if you cant hardwire then think about using your buildings electrical cable to transport the data...

We had a situation where we had wireless networks on either side of us in the buildings next door on the same frequency which caused major data collisions and therefore loss of speed.

A wired network is defintely the better solution particularly if your centralising the database to one machine and using the other machines as workstations

Colm
support
Site Admin
Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject:

The main reason we recommend a wired network is for performance. Typically wired networks run at a 'true' speed of 100 mbps. Gigabit networks (the new standard) run at 1000 mbps.

Compare this to wireless networks which usually run at a 'true' speed of between 5 and 20 mbps (regardless of what speed windows reports) and you can understand the difference.

This article explains the reasons in more depth :-
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless/f/wirelessspeed.htm

Bear in mind that ClinicOffice is a database application which requires constant access over the network, unlike editing a Word document (for example) which only requires the file to opened then saved later on.

ClinicOffice Support Forum Index -> CO2005 Pre-Sales Enquiries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: